Update: To enter the parental sponsorship lottery click here.
The government of Canada has just announced major changes to the intake process for the 2017 Parent and Grandparent Sponsorship Program. The most significant changes include the following:
- Only 10,000 applications will be accepted under this program in 2017.
- Instead of a first-come, first-serve system, IRCC will now be using a lottery system to choose applicants.
- Between January 3 and February 2, 2017, those who want to apply as sponsors must first complete an online form to show that they are interested in applying to sponsor their parents or grandparents.
- At the end of the 30 days, IRCC will randomly choose 10 000 applications and invite them to apply to the Parent and Grandparent Sponsorship Program.
- Those who were invited to apply will have 90 days to submit their complete application to IRCC. The new forms will not be released until January 9, 2017.
Given the tight timelines and difficulty in being chosen, it is now even more critical to ensure that submitted applications are complete and accurate. Incomplete applications will be returned and applicants will have to re-enter the lottery in the next year.
Book a consultation with one of our lawyers to determine if you meet the qualifications to apply under this program or to see if you may qualify for permanent residency under a different program by contacting us at (416) 548-9101 or at firstname.lastname@example.org.