Alternatives to the Parents and Grandparents Sponsorship Program

On January 28, 2019, IRCC opened the the Parents and Grandparents Sponsorship program, and accepted Interest to Sponsor Forms on a first-submitted, first-invited basis. 

Unfortunately, the website to register an Interest to Sponsor was only open for approximately 12 minutes and even some individuals who tried to register during those 12 minutes were told told that they would unable to do so.  According to IRCC, 27,000 submissions were received and accepted during this period.

If you were one of the lucky individuals who were able to register, then it is critical that the application you submit be complete and accurate.  If there is anything that is missing, your application will simply be returned and you will need to register again for an invitation next year. If you were able to register, please feel free to contact our office to ensure that your application is submitted properly. 

For those who were not so lucky to be able to register, there are still other alternatives that we can look at to bring your parents to Canada. These may include:  

  • Super Visas: This is a temporary resident visitor program designed especially for parents and grandparents. Upon each entry, they are allowed to stay in Canada for 2 years as opposed to the normal six months. They do have to obtain medical insurance and there are financial requirements for the sponsor under this visa. 

  • Humanitarian and Compassionate Applications: This is a permanent resident application used mainly in cases where applicants are already in Canada and have extenuating circumstances as to why they must remain. For parents this can include medical conditions, family care in Canada, and economic needs. There is no set criteria for, but rather they are dealt with on a case-by-base basis. 

  • Economic Options: For parents who are still working age and are interested in setting up businesses in Canada, there are a number of programs for entrepreneurs and skilled workers that they may qualify for. These programs often involve applying first for work permits and then permanent residence. 

If you would like to learn more about possible alternatives to the program please please contact us at 
416-548-9101, or at