New Work Permits for Francophones

The government has just announced that starting on June 1, 2016, francophone persons (people who are fluent in French) will be entitled to special work permits throughout Canada.  Here are some of the details: 

  • Francophone persons who want to work in provinces outside of Quebec can qualify
  • To obtain a work permit they must be offered a position in the managerial, professional or technical/skilled trades occupations 
  • These work permits will not require LMIAs.

Contact us at (416) 548-9101, or at inquiries@lmlawgroup.com if you or someone you know are fluent in French and would like to come to Canada.  

To sign up for our newsletter to ensure that you will receive future emails on immigration changes, click here.



Long Mangalji LLP

New Changes to LMIA-Exempt Work Permits

Starting from last Saturday, February 21, 2015, the government has begun to impose new processes and fees for applicants who want to apply for work permits that don't require a Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA).  Here are some of the main changes:

  • Employers who want to hire foreign workers with work permits that are LMIA-exempt and tied to an employer (eg. Intra-company Transferees, NAFTA and other free-trade agreement professionals, some PNP nominees, Significant Benefit) are now required to submit a form outlining the details of the job and pay a fee of $230. 
  • Employers may be subject to compliance reviews for these workers and must adhere to the terms stated in the form.  Non-compliance may mean the inability to hire future foreign workers and heavy fines. 
  • Persons who are applying for open work permits will be required to pay an additional fee of $100.  This will affect people who are applying for post-grad work permits, spousal work permits, bridging work permits, and some PNP work permits.