The 2019 Parental Sponsorship program was closed in 12 minutes. Here are some alternatives if you were not lucky enough to be able to obtain an invitation.
The Parent and Grandparents sponsorship program re-opened for online expressions of interest from January 2 to February 1, 2018. On March 19, Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) emailed out invitations to potential sponsors who were randomly selected to submit their sponsorship application.
Potential sponsors will have 60 days from the date of their invitation to submit a complete application.
Some key points to note:
- Individuals who submitted the online form are urged to check their email inbox and junk mail, or to look up their unique confirmation number using IRCC's list of selected numbers here.
- Invitations are not transferrable; you cannot use an invitation to sponsor another parent/grandparent who was not listed in the initial online form.
- It is vital to ensure that you provide proof of meeting eligibility criteria and that your application is submitted without any mistakes to avoid refused/rejected applications and thereby having to start again and re-enter the pool of interested sponsors.
Interested individuals who did not receive an invitation letter should continue to monitor their email for news on further draws. If IRCC does not receive 10,000 complete applications, additional potential sponsors will be invited to apply later in the year.
To speak with one of our lawyers to discuss your case, contact us at (416) 548-9101 or by email at email@example.com.
The Minister of Immigration has announced that the Parent and Grandparent Sponsorship program will be re-opening in 2018. Similar to the new process introduced for 2017, potential sponsors will be required to first express their interest in sponsoring by submitting the online “Interest to Sponsor” form. Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) will then randomly select 10,000 potential sponsors and invite them to submit a sponsorship application within 90 days of selection.
Canadian citizens or permanent residents of Canada who would like to sponsor their parents or grandparents will be able to submit the online Interest to Sponsor form from 12pm EST on January 2 to 12pm EST on February 1, 2018.
To help ensure that only eligible sponsors submit an Interest to Sponsor form, IRCC has added additional questions to the 2018 form to assess the eligibility of potential sponsors.
To determine if you meet the qualifications to sponsor your parents or grandparents under this program, contact us at (416) 548-9101 or at firstname.lastname@example.org to book a consultation.
Update: To enter the parental sponsorship lottery click here.
The government of Canada has just announced major changes to the intake process for the 2017 Parent and Grandparent Sponsorship Program. The most significant changes include the following:
- Only 10,000 applications will be accepted under this program in 2017.
- Instead of a first-come, first-serve system, IRCC will now be using a lottery system to choose applicants.
- Between January 3 and February 2, 2017, those who want to apply as sponsors must first complete an online form to show that they are interested in applying to sponsor their parents or grandparents.
- At the end of the 30 days, IRCC will randomly choose 10 000 applications and invite them to apply to the Parent and Grandparent Sponsorship Program.
- Those who were invited to apply will have 90 days to submit their complete application to IRCC. The new forms will not be released until January 9, 2017.
Given the tight timelines and difficulty in being chosen, it is now even more critical to ensure that submitted applications are complete and accurate. Incomplete applications will be returned and applicants will have to re-enter the lottery in the next year.
Book a consultation with one of our lawyers to determine if you meet the qualifications to apply under this program or to see if you may qualify for permanent residency under a different program by contacting us at (416) 548-9101 or at email@example.com.