Temporary Residents

Our Response to the American Immigration Ban

U.S. President Donald Trump has signed an executive order that closed the U.S. border to people from Iran, Iraq, Libya, Somalia, Syria, Sudan and Yemen.  As we have seen in the news, enforcement of the order has unleashed chaos at airports and many people have been left in immigration limbo. 

To assist in responding to this crisis, Long Mangalji is currently offering free immigration consultations to those affected by this order and are interested in exploring immigration options to Canada.

If you are from one of these countries and would like to book a consultation with one of our lawyers, contact us at (416) 548-9101 or inquiries@lmlawgroup.com.

The Year Ahead: Immigration Changes to Look For in 2017

A new year is here and we thought we would take some time to highlight expected changes that are likely to happen to the immigration system in 2017.

Overall Numbers

  • It is projected that 300 000 immigrants will obtain permanent residency this year. This is the same as in 2016.
  • Permanent Residence granted under the economic categories are expected to rise from 160 600 to 172 500. The number of people being accepted through the refugee program is expected to decrease to 40 000 from 55 800. Family sponsorships are expected to increase from 80 000 to 84 000. 


  • The government has proposed Bill C-6,which proposes major changes to the Citizenship Act. Bill C-6 has passed at the House of Commons and has completed second reading before the Senate. On December 15, 2016 it was referred to a Senate committee. We expect that this bill will soon become law. 

Family Sponsorship

  • The government has stated that it will remove the requirement that those being sponsored must cohabit with their sponsor for two years to retain status.
  • The government has stated that the definition of a dependent child will be restored to under 22 years of age. 

Express Entry

  • The changes announced to the express entry program last November drastically altered who received  an Invitation to Apply. In the coming year the government has stated that it may once again make changes to the program by allocating Express Entry points to individuals that speak French and want to work outside Quebec, and also for individuals that have siblings in Canada. No announcements have been made as to when these changes may be implemented.

Ontario Immigrant Nominee Program

  • The OINP has announced that the 2016 cap has been met and that all additional nominations for submitted applications will go towards the 2017 allocation. Since the program stopped accepting new applications many clients have sought out alternatives to the OINP program. No announcements have been made as to when they will re-open the program. 

We are really excited for the up-coming year! Book a consultation with one of our lawyers to determine if these changes will affect you by contacting us at (416) 548-9101 or at inquiries@lmlawgroup.com.






ETA Update

As of November 10, 2016, most foreign nationals from countries that are visa-exempt (except for Americans) will be required to have an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) prior to flying into Canada.

Here are some of the key points to note:  

  • Citizens of the United States of America, Permanent Residents of Canada, and other small exempted groups will not require an eTA to board a flight to Canada.  
  • If you want to enter Canada by land or sea, you will not need an eTA.
  • The eTAs are normally issued for 5 years or until the expiry date of your passport. If you have to renew or replace your passport a new eTA will be required. 
  • Work permits and study permits issued by the visa post and at the border after July 31, 2015 may already have eTAs attached to them.
  • Dual Canadian citizens must now travel on their Canadian passports unless they receive special authorization (see below). 
  • Individuals with any criminal history may be denied an eTA and be determined inadmissible to enter Canada.  If you do have a criminal record it is strongly recommended that you consult one of our lawyers prior to making an eTA application.

Until January 31, 2017, a Canadian with dual citizenship may apply for a special authorization allowing them to travel to Canada without their Canadian passport if they:

  • Have a flight booked to Canada that leaves in less than 10 days, and
  • Have a valid passport from a visa-exempt country, and
  • Meet one of the following conditions:
    • Have previously received a certificate of Canadian citizenship;
    • Held a Canadian passport in the past; or
    • Were granted Canadian citizenship after having been a Permanent Resident of Canada.

This special authorization will be valid for only 4 days from the date of travel selected on the application form. If it is not used within that time, a new authorization will be required.

To find out more information about these changes, contact us at (416) 548-9101, or at inquiries@lmlawgroup.com

To sign up for our newsletter to ensure that you will receive future emails on immigration changes, click here.