Get Ready for Expanded Biometric Requirements

On July 31st, Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada will be expanding the collection of biometrics to all applicants between the ages of 14-79. Start dates for the requirement vary depending on the applicant's nationality.

Some of the most relevant details include: 

Who Will be Affected and When

Biometric data must be submitted by everyone applying for:

  • a visitor visa,
  • a work or study permit,
  • permanent residence, or
  • refugee or asylum status.

Some exemptions:

  • persons applying from within Canada will be initially exempt until early 2019, when collection centres will be opened in the country;
  • Americans applying for a work or study permit; and
  • visa-exempt nationals coming to Canada as visitors with a valid Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA).

The requirements are being rolled out in stages: applicants from Europe, the Middle East, and Africa must provide biometrics starting at the end of this month; July 31, 2018. Applicants from Asia, Asia Pacific, and the Americas will be required to provide biometrics starting on December 31, 2018.

How to Obtain and Submit Biometric Data

Most applicants will give fingerprints and have photos taken at any Visa Application Centre (VAC). Only refugee claimants and certain eligible work or study permit applicants may submit the data upon arrival at a port of entry.

Biometric data will stay valid for 10 years, and will not be required for each temporary resident application. However, permanent residence applicants must submit new biometrics even if they submitted data as part of a visa or permit application within the previous 10 years.

The process costs $85 per applicant, with a maximum total fee of $170 for families.

Process Upon Arrival In Canada

If you arrive at one of Canada's major airports, you will be required to provide your fingerprints at a kiosk. If you arrive at a smaller airport or land port of entry, an immigration officer may verify your fingerprints if you are selected for secondary inspection.

If you would like to learn more about how these changes may affect you, please contact us at (416) 548-9101, or at

Student Seminars in November

Together with student groups and universities and colleges throughout Ontario, Long Mangalji will be offering free immigration seminars to international students this fall.  Come and join us if you are a member of one of the following groups!

Here's what's coming up in November: 

Niagara College

Date: November 10

Time: 11:30 - 1:30

Place: NOTL Campus E107

Windsor University, GSS

Date: November 18

Time: 3:30 - 5:30

Laurentian University

Date: November 21

Time: 11:30 - 1:30 

Western University, SOGS

Date: November 23

Time: 12:00 - 2:30

University of Toronto, Student's Union

Date: November 24

Time: 4:00 - 6:00

If your organization would like us to provide you with a seminar free of charge, let us know and we'll be happy to come. Contact Elizabeth Long at (416) 548-9089, or at

Have a nice week and don't forget to follow us on Twitter! @LongMangalji 


Long Mangalji LLP

New "Leniency Period" Announced for ETAs

The government had previously announced that starting March 15, most nationals from countries that are visa-exempt (except for Americans) will be required to apply for an Electronic Travel Authorization (ETA) prior to flying into Canada.  See here for more details.

However, the government has recently announced that there will be a "Leniency Period" from now until an unspecified date in the fall of 2016 when travellers will be able to enter Canada without an ETA.  If you have already applied for an ETA, please see below for details on how this might affect you: 

  • If you've applied for an ETA and have received an approval, then you should travel with the ETA and the passport that you had used for your ETA application.

  • If you've applied for an ETA and have not yet received a decision, you can travel to Canada.  Make sure that you double check your email before travelling though to ensure that you did not receive a decision.

  • If you've applied for an ETA and have received a negative decision, you cannot travel to Canada until you apply again and receive a positive decision.  Contact us for more information on how to do so.

Contact us at (416) 548-9101, or at if you have had your ETA rejected and need to enter Canada. 

To sign up for our newsletter to ensure that you will receive future emails on immigration changes, click here.


New ETA Requirement for Visa-Exempt Travellers

UPDATE: The government has announced a "Leniency Period" until Fall 2016 where travellers can still enter Canada without a ETA.  See here for more details.

On March 15, most nationals from countries that are visa-exempt (except for Americans) will be required to apply for an Electronic Travel Authorization (ETA) prior to flying into Canada.

Here are some of the key points to note:  

  • If you want to fly into Canada after March 15, 2016 and are not a Canadian citizen or permanent resident, American, or hold a visa of temporary resident permit, you will likely need an ETA or visa.
  • If you want to enter Canada by land or sea, you will not need an ETA.
  • ETAs are normally issued for up to 5 years and are attached to your passport.  If you've had to renew your passport, you will need to apply for another ETA.
  • Work permits and study permits issued by the visa post and at the border after July 31, 2015 may already have ETAs attached to them.
  • If you hold a study permit, work permit, or visitor record and you do not have an ETA, you will have to apply for an ETA if you want to travel outside of Canada or the United States.  If you travel to the United States only and you return to Canada before your status ends, you do not have to apply for an ETA.

To find out more information about these changes, contact us at (416) 548-9101, or at



Long Mangalji LLP