ETA Update

As of November 10, 2016, most foreign nationals from countries that are visa-exempt (except for Americans) will be required to have an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) prior to flying into Canada.

Here are some of the key points to note:  

  • Citizens of the United States of America, Permanent Residents of Canada, and other small exempted groups will not require an eTA to board a flight to Canada.  
  • If you want to enter Canada by land or sea, you will not need an eTA.
  • The eTAs are normally issued for 5 years or until the expiry date of your passport. If you have to renew or replace your passport a new eTA will be required. 
  • Work permits and study permits issued by the visa post and at the border after July 31, 2015 may already have eTAs attached to them.
  • Dual Canadian citizens must now travel on their Canadian passports unless they receive special authorization (see below). 
  • Individuals with any criminal history may be denied an eTA and be determined inadmissible to enter Canada.  If you do have a criminal record it is strongly recommended that you consult one of our lawyers prior to making an eTA application.

Until January 31, 2017, a Canadian with dual citizenship may apply for a special authorization allowing them to travel to Canada without their Canadian passport if they:

  • Have a flight booked to Canada that leaves in less than 10 days, and
  • Have a valid passport from a visa-exempt country, and
  • Meet one of the following conditions:
    • Have previously received a certificate of Canadian citizenship;
    • Held a Canadian passport in the past; or
    • Were granted Canadian citizenship after having been a Permanent Resident of Canada.

This special authorization will be valid for only 4 days from the date of travel selected on the application form. If it is not used within that time, a new authorization will be required.

To find out more information about these changes, contact us at (416) 548-9101, or at

To sign up for our newsletter to ensure that you will receive future emails on immigration changes, click here.