The government has just announced major changes to the Spousal Sponsorship program. These changes are designed to simplify the application process and lead to faster processing times. The most significant changes include the following:
- IRCC will process approximately 80% of new applications within 12 months from the day they are received.
- About 80% of applications that are currently in the system will be processed within the next 12 months.
- The government has increased the annual numbers of individuals admitted through this program from a hisorical target of 47 000 to 64 000 admissions for 2017.
- Starting December 15, 2016,new sponsorship forms will released in which all applicants, regardless of whether they are applying in-Canada or overseas, will apply in the same manner.
- The open work permit pilot program has been extended until December 21, 2017
These are just some of the most significant changes that were announced. You can also book a consultation to determine how these changes may effect your application, or to see if you may qualify for permanent residency under a different program by contacting us at (416) 548-9101 or at email@example.com.