IRCC has announced some important updates to the Parent and Grandparent Sponsorship Program for the 2023 lottery. Only those who had submitted their name in 2020 would be eligible to participate in this year’s lottery. Here are some key points to note:
- Starting on October 10, 2023, IRCC will begin emailing out invitations to potential sponsors who submitted their interest to sponsor in 2020, with the goal of completing 15,000 sponsorships through the Parent and Grandparent program.
- Potential sponsors will have 60 days from the date of their invitation to submit a complete application.
- Individuals who submitted the online form are urged to check their email inbox and junk mail, or to look up their unique confirmation number using IRCC’s list of selected numbers.
- Invitations are not transferrable; you cannot use an invitation to sponsor another parent/grandparent who was not listed in the initial online form.
- It is vital to ensure that you provide proof of meeting eligibility criteria and that your application is submitted without any mistakes to avoid refused/rejected applications and thereby having to start again and re-enter the pool of interested sponsors.
If you are not eligible for this lottery or if you do not receive an invitation letter, you can also explore the multiple entry super visa options so that your parents/grandparents can stay in Canada for 5 years at a time.